Baltimore Indian Community -
| | | | | | | | | | | |

Home | Important Numbers | H1B Visa | H4 Visa |  Visitors Visa
Immigration Forms |  Canadian Immigration | Business Visa | Student Visa | Green Card
K-1 Visa |  Schengen Visa |  Indian Passport | L-1 Visa |  US Citizenship

Canadian Immigration

Visiting Canada:

Canadian Consulate in Seattle is closed

The nearest Canadian Visa/Immigrant services is provided by Consulate General of Los Angeles:

550 S Hope St, Los Angeles, CA 90071
Tel: (213) 346-2700

Buy Books on Canadian Immigration

Immigration- Overview

For adults of age of 18 years or older, there is an Immigration application form which can be found at Application for Canadian Citizenship Adults. For children of under 18 age, there is another form available which can be found at Application for Canadian Citizenship Minors. You can order the forms from the respective department Citizenship and Immigration Canada call centers. You can also download and print the form from


The fee for adults is $200. The fee for children under 18 is $100.

Processing Time

At present, the processing time for an immigration application is approximately 12-15 months.

Once you complete the form, you can send it to

Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Case Processing Centre
P.O. Box 7000
Sydney, Nova Scotia  B1P 6V6

For more information you can visit or you can call CIC call center at 1 888 242-2100 (toll-free). If you are situated outside Canada, then you can contact the Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate of your region.

For Study

Every year 130,000 students come to Canada for different courses of study. Education, in Canada, is regulated by the provinces. They also regulate the schools. You need to contact the particular school to get more information on the living and studying in that particular province. You need a study permit to study in Canada.

Eligibility to study in Canada

  • You should have an acceptance offer from any school, college or university in Canada.
  • You need to provide proof that you have enough money to bear the cost of education.
  • You should have money to pay for your tuition fees, living expenses and return transportation. The living expenses and return transportation will include the cost incurred for your family members if they come with you.
  • You should not have a criminal record. You should be a law-abiding citizen. You should not be a risk to Canada. A police certificate may be necessary.
  • Your health should be fine. A medical examination may be needed.
  • You will need to prove, that you will leave the country after completion of your studies, to an immigration officer.  
In some case, you do not need a study permit to study in Canada<

For a short term course that lasts for six months or less- In such cases, you do not need a study permit. 

Foreign representatives to Canada � In case of staff member or family member of foreign representative which is accredited by Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, then you do not need a study permit.

Members of foreign armed forces- Members of the foreign armed force do not need a study permit under the Visiting Forces Act.


The application form can be found here

Processing time

Processing time for your study application may vary from 2 to 28 days.

Obtain and complete the application form and send it to the visa office in your country or region where you live.

Collect the documents and fill the form completely before sending it out.

For more information, please visit

For Work

Ninety thousand foreign workers reach Canada each year on work permits. All these are temporary work permits. You will need a work permit to work in Canada. In some cases like for some business people and for some other positions, you do not need a work permit. The permit is approved fast for some of the work categories. The processing time depends on the nature of the work that you will do in Canada. You need to apply through your respective visa offices for work permits to work in Canada.


You can get the application form (IMM1294B)-here

Processing time

Processing time varies from 2 to 28 days.

For more information, please visit

For Visit

You can visit Canada as a tourist. For that you need a visa. You should meet certain criteria to enter Canada as a tourist. These requirements will depend on factors like your country and reason of your visit. If you plan to stay for sometime, then you need a Temporary Resident Visa.


You can download the application kit from here . You can also download the form here.


        You should have a valid travel document like a passport

        You health should be fine

        You will need to convince the immigration officer that you will come back. Ties like family, job, home etc may be a good reason to show.

        You should have proof that you have enough money for the stay in Canada. The amount will vary based on where you stay.

You may also need

        Temporary Resident Visa. It will depend on your home country

        A invitation letter from someone who stays in Canada

        A medical examination

Where to apply You need to send your application to the Canadian visa office in your country or the region where you live. You can get more information from the guide you get with the application kit. Fees

Fr a single entry, the fee is $75 per person. And $150 for a multiple entry and $400 for a family for both multiple or single entry.

Processing time

Within a month or lesser than that, your applications are processed. Depending on the visa office, the processing time may vary from 2 to 28 days.

After you send your application to the visa office, it will be reviewed. The forms will be reviewed for correctness and completeness. Al the necessary documents will be checked . The visa officer will decide whether there is any need o an interview. If any need is there, then you will be asked to appear for an interview. After you application is approved, you will get back all your documents, passports along with the visa.

For more information, please visit

Sponsoring your family

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) offers opportunity to sponsor your family into Canada. This offer is available to the Canadian permanent residents and Canadian citizen only. In this category you can sponsor your spouse, dependent child, adopted child, common law partner, conjugal partner and eligible relatives. The whole category is called as Family Class.

Once you get your family members to Canada, you should financially support your family, as you sponsored them. Your family members should never approach the government seeking financial assistance. You can apply to be sponsor to your family to begin the process. As you can sponsor various relatives and family members, so there are two different processes to sponsor your family members. One is for your spouse, dependent children and common law partner and the other is for other eligible relatives.


Find the application form here

Processing time

It will need 3 to 8 months to process your application for sponsoring your family.

Where to send the application

Your complete application is first to be sent to the Case Processing Centre (CPC) in Mississauga, Ontario (for family members living outside Canada), or the CPC in Vegreville, Alberta (for family members living inside Canada). After your approval as the sponsor, your application is sent to the appropriate Canadian visa office.

Note: Information provided above can change, to see updated information, please visit